Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cabbage Patch Kids - A little back to the future action

Were you a little girl in America in the early 80s? Did you have a Cabbage Patch Kid? Or two? Or three?

Yeah. Me too. I might have been born in a foreign land. I might have learned to speak English pretty late in the game. But by the time the Cabbage Patch Kid craze hit the States I was right there begging my parents for a 'Kid of my own.

Lucky for me my mom understood how crucial it was for me to own one of the much coveted dolls. In fact she got me two, one preemie and one with blond braids, just like me. Then she went out and found some Cabbage Patch Kid clothes patterns and made my babies some snazzy duds. My mom's cool like that.

Then I grew up, I know, so rude of me, and my dolls languished in my mother's attic in the heart of the Loire Valley in France, waiting for someone to come rescue them. They waited and waited, until finally my little girls were born and my mother came to their aid. My old, slightly moldy smelling friends took a little overseas trip and landed at our door where they were welcomed with squeals of delight.

And there I thought the story would end.

But the wonderful people at Cabbage Patch Kids didn't think that was right. You see, they know that all those little girls who once hankered for Cabbage Patch Kids all those years ago would want their own little girls to experience that love. And so they decided to recreate each and every one of those original dolls. Yup, the same dolls. Exactly the same. Limited Edition 25th Anniversary 'Kids.

Hitting store shelves any time now.

Now I don't know about you, but that kind of makes me want to rush out to the store to see if I can find the replica of my own two 'Kids. No? I mean, I still have them, but it would be pretty cool.

Do you still have your 'Kid? Do you have fond memories of that 'Kid? Hurry over to the Cabbage Patch Kid site and share your pictures and stories with other children of the 80s. Then check out your local toy store, you know, just in case they have the twin to your old friend.

Over here we're getting to know a new pal. I think it's going pretty well. Though we're definitely going to have to get a second new 'Kid or the squabbles are never going to end.

blog comments powered by Disqus