Friday, May 23, 2008

Thermos Foogo sippy cup

My sister's post on the BPA issue made me pull my head out of the sand and consider the issue. C and Little L both use sippy cups. It's taken me a long, long time to find cups that didn't leak and weren't a pain to wash, so I was really loath to hunt down some BPA free cups.

In the end the threat of cancer was enough to send me to the camping aisle at Target where I had heard the Thermos Foogo cups were hiding. At $14.39 the price was a little steep, but I figured we'd just make sure to leave this one at home so as to not lose it and I threw it in the cart. I'm hoping to get C to give up sippies completely so I only got one for Little L.

At home I pried the shiny metal cup from its plastic casing and took it apart to clean it. On the plus side the cup comes apart pretty easily. The valve doesn't have any annoying nooks or crannies to clean. The opening is large enough to be able to wash with a sponge.

I filled the cup with cold water and gave it to the baby. That's when I realized the only real drawback; it's a heavy metal cup. When the cup is filled with water Little L at 9 months can lift it to her mouth, but she has trouble tilting the cup so she can actually drink. When it's only half full she has no trouble drinking.

I concede a thumbs up, I didn't want to give up my beloved Gerber sippies, but if I have to this might be my best bet. Overall I like the cup. It keeps the water nice and cool and it's pretty easy to clean. The weight is a drawback (especially when she drops it on my foot. Ouch!), but soon it won't be an issue any more. The price is a bit prohibitive if your kids are prone to losing sippy cups, but compared to other BPA free metal cups it's not too bad.
blog comments powered by Disqus