Sunday, May 13, 2007

Second Chance

I truly believe that everyone and every situation deserves a second chance, but it's not always easy to let that happen. If you think hard for a minute I bet that you can come up with at least one person or situation that could have benefited from being revisited; a friendship that you gave up on too quickly, a coworker that you wrote off after just one altercation, a job that you could have scored if you'd tried just a little bit harder to wow the interviewer.
Some days we are just not at our best. In some situations we don't shine, and when we go home we spend days beating ourselves up about what we did, or didn't, do. All of that wasted time could be put to much better use. You can be sure that the other party isn't agonizing over the details like you. And in the end it's much more efficient to pick up the phone or send an email than to torture yourself. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so blunt." "I don't think we started off on the right foot, how about we get some coffee and get better acquainted." "I'm afraid I didn't present myself in the best light. Would you have a moment to chat with me some more?" These are just a few examples. There are many other ways that a slight can be repaired or a bridge can be mended. Very few situations can't be improved if you are willing to swallow your pride and make the first move. It's not easy, but there's no doubt that it's worth the trouble.
So who, or what, in your life deserves a second chance? What are you going to do about it?

This post was inspired by the Sunday Scribblings prompt Second Chance.
blog comments powered by Disqus