First we watched the Barbie Thumbelina movie. Over and over and over again. I didn't have my hopes up when I first popped it into the DVD player, because, well, I might have a bit of a preconceived notion of "straight to DVD" movies, but the movie delivered in a big way. It's a lovely story about a spoiled little girl who gets over herself by learning a bit about nature and what she can do to save the field inhabited by Thumbelina's people, the Twillerbees.
The lessons in the movie aren't overbearing and the story stands up to being told over and over again, which is a great thing, because I have a feeling we're not done watching it yet!
Once C was good and
Our Thumbelina Doll came with a nifty little gadget that allows her to hide in her flower and pop out at the touch of a button. After a few tries C figured out how much strength to apply to get the mechanism to work and was delighted with the effect. It's a cute toy, which will undoubtedly get lots of play in our house!
Barbie Thumbelina Pros:
- The movie is sweet and teaches a great ecofriendly lesson just in time for Earth Day. Your child will walk away with a greater respect for flowers and the secrets they might contain.
- The doll is nicely constructed and opens the door to a whole new world of play.
Barbie Thumbelina Cons:
- The mechanism on the toy is a bit hard to work for little hands and I think that it will soon be forgotten in favor of more imaginative play in our house. C would rather let Thumbelina fly through the sky than pop out of her flower, but maybe that's just us!
All in all, I'm giving the Barbie Thumbelina line a big thumbs up. It's a lovely alternative to the more traditional Barbies and to those other flying characters, if you know what I mean. wink wink.
Barbie Thumbelina Giveaway:
We're giving away one Barbie Thumbelina Movie to a lucky Lemonade Stand winner!
1) Leave a comment letting me know about your own or your child's Barbie memories.
2) Tell me what you have planned for Earth Day 2009 or how you teach your child about the importance of nature.
3) Subscribe to this blog's feed. Leave a comment telling me you subscribed.
4) Subscribe to my other blog's feed. Leave a comment telling me you subscribed.
5) Tweet, email, blog about this giveaway.
That's a grand total of 7 ways you can enter! Please remember to leave me a way to contact you. And please, please, please, leave a separate comment for each of your entries. I can't credit you for each of them if you don't.
Giveaway ends Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 10pm PST, just in time for Earth Day! This giveaway is officially closed! Thank you for stopping by. Make sure to check out all my other great giveaways!
Did you like this The Lemonade Stand post?
Don't miss the next one! Subscribe via my RSS feed.